Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Confessions of a Book Blogger Who Hates "Confessions of a _______" Book Titles

I HATE HATE HATE books whose titles start with "Confessions of a .....".  This hatred is totally random and mostly unfounded, but I can't help it, I hate these titles!  I feel like it makes the book or movie sound so generic because I really think the whole thing is overdone.  I must be the only person who feels this way though, because one of James Patterson's September releases is called....


I just googled "Confessions of a" and got the following:
Confessions of an Economic Hit man
Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber
Confessions of a CPA: Why What I Was Taught to be True Has Turned Out Not to Be (a terrible title for a number of reasons, aside from the confessions aspect)
Confessions of a Working Girl: A True Story
Confessions of a Surgeon: The Good, the Bad, and the Complicated...Life Behind the O.R. Door
Confessions of a Las Vegas Motorcop
Confessions of a Scoundrel
Confessions of an Anonymous Hedge fund Manager

There were about a billion more titles just like that out there, which is why these titles feel way overused and cliche to me.  That being said, there are a lot of books and movies with this sort of title that I do like, but their unfortunate titles do make me cringe!

So how about you?  
What do you think about "Confessions of_____" titles, are they cliche? 
 Lame? 
 Interesting?  
Don't care either way?

What's your literary pet peeve?  We all have 'em, so spill!!!  Hit the comments to rant!

1 comment:

Tales of Whimsy said...

OMG yes!!!! Good point. I don't mind it as much in Chick Lit but in any other genre it causes me to lose respect for the story.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails